Sunday 26 February 2012

All aboard the sushi train!

--> I definitely could not have missed a sushi train while on the Tokyo trip.   This one was on Omotesando Street near Harajuku.  
So it looked like any typical sushi train with the chef in the middle making to order any sushi you wanted,  but the first thing I noticed that we didn’t have in Sydney was the self-serve, free, green tea.  The green tea came in powder form in a little pot with a cute little spoon and then there is a hot water dispenser at the table built into the counter, so you just fill up your cup and wallah!  Your instant green tea which tastes much better than a tea bag!  Forgot to take a photo of the hot water dispenser, but it is a genius idea.  We shouldn’t have to pay for green tea when having sushi!
 



The first sushi I had was the grilled prawn sushi with white onion and mayo.  Delish!  Then I had to have the “takoyaki”, octopus balls made to order.  They were so good.  Hot balls of batter and tempura leftovers with the chunks of octopus inside.  Creamy and savoury with hints of spring onions too.  I love these things.  Then I ordered the “maguro” sushi, which is raw tuna.  I love tuna sashimi.  Although this one was light coral colour, it looked more like salmon than tuna.    It wasn’t the beautiful ruby red flesh I imagined, nevertheless it was tasty.  With a splash of wasabi and soy, fresh sushi never tasted better. 

Love this silver and black plate!



Takoyaki!
Maguro
There was one that passed us on the train with what I think was a raw quail egg on top with minced raw tuna which I hadn’t seen before, but didn’t have the courage to eat it.  Also I guess it isn’t unusual, but the chef cooked/seared scallop meat in front of us on a marble bench which I thought was pretty cool.
Think this is quail egg . .
 

When I got back I was kind of sick of Japanese food,  I just craved pizza or Indian.  But since have eaten at Zushi and Sapporo already.
 
Zushi on Crown Street in Surry Hills is a cute little restaurant that serves up a really good mix of Jap food.  Not only sushi but classics such as Agedashi tofu and chicken karage which stacks up pretty well with what Tokyo had to offer.  The soft shell crab was delicious as was the tuna tataki.  Didn’t take any pics that time but I do recommend Zushi I say it is about a 8 out of 10.  Lots of couples on dates and groups, so it’s a restaurant where you can pop in impromptu style in shorts and tees if you’re lucky to get a table or it can be a dress and heels type of restaurant especially if it’s a Saturday night.
 
Sapporo in Crows Nest is also a cute little restaurant but the big screen showing the rugby makes it more suburban and has a family vibe to it.  My friend told me the owner is a rugby fanatic so hence the 2 screens.  Anyway besides that it has a good menu.  Something I have never eaten before in a Japanese restaurant was a dish of deep fried baby prawns with a light chilli batter.  With a squeeze of lemon on top I popped the whole prawns in my mouth and crunched away.  It was great!   They serve Nabemono which is the hot pot dishes.  I have to try that next time as I love hot pots.  Maybe when the weather cools down a bit.  I rate this joint 8 out of 10 as well. 
 
I really do love Japanese food very much!!!

1 comment:

  1. me too, went to Zen at The Spot last night, wasn't as good as this one sounds though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...